Sunday, August 23, 2009

BLOG POST 1

I am Amanda Reed. I have been at USA for a year now majoring in Elementary education. I am a very outgoing but shy girl. I love sports. I played softball from age six to eighteen. My sports ended the year after I graduated due to surgery. I love to take pictures. I have my camera with me everywhere I go! I am an only child , and I only have one grandfather left in my life. I love my family and friends.
I try my best to stay away from people with negative attitudes. I love to be around happy , nice, well-mannered people. I am terrified of asking questions in front of a lot of people. I am very insecure. Well maybe that's enough about me for now.



Did You Know 3.0 by Karl Fisch
This video was very interesting. I knew that technology was used on a daily basis by millions of people , but the stats on this video proved that I had underestimated the use of the internet. I learned that technology is a growing tool that will change our world within the next few years.
I was very shocked about how many users Myspace has in its network. Also, was interested in the stat about how much can change within three years in college. I then realized that about my time in college. The first year I started there were things I did , that now are so much easier through the computer.


Mr. Winkle Wakes by Matthew Needleman
Mr. Winkle Wakes is a great video that is so true. The entire world uses machines , computers , i pods, and more to learn. Whereas, in most school systems the teaches only use a chalkboard. There are some schools, or at least one I know of, that the teacher uses podcast to post the homework assignments.
I think that when more schools start using the many options of technology more kids will be more interested in learning. I took the story as while the world is progressing , the school system is staying the same as it has always been. I think that it should be the other way around. The schools she be using the best tools that is offered. The students would learn so much better with access to the world through technology.


Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
Sir Ken Robinson has a great sense of humor. I do agree that creativity is a very important aspect of our lives. Sir Robinson was right about creativity being educated out of the students as they get older. Once the students reach seventh grade arts are then an extra class that you can take if you want to. I think that it should be a requirement to have arts in school k-12. Art is an activity that keeps creativity alive. To do arts you have to be creative. Learning is so much easier when it is done through creative ideas.
I have never realized the importance of creativity until watching this video. He emphasizes the importance of keeping creativity in the classrooms and minds of students. I also liked how in the beginning of the video he mentioned that all kids have talent. I realize all kids have talent it is just letting the kids know they have talent and keeping the opportunity to learn more about their talent in school.


Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smart

This video was a great eye opener for me to actually see a classroom full of computers that is not a lab. The students were doing stuff I know nothing about. Also, the interaction between the students was amazing.
Mrs. Davis seemed like she is a caring teacher that wants her kids to learn. She seems very involved with web pages to help her students blog with other students all over the world. I believe if all classroom settings were changed to that set up there would be lower drop out rates and higher numbers in graduating classes.

1 comment:

  1. Next time, when you have separate topics, put your comments into separate posts. Your discussion of Podcasts is correctly posted as one post. You do not have to change this. My comment refers to future assignments.

    ReplyDelete