Sunday, August 30, 2009

BLOG POST - WEEK 2

The first podcast I listened to in SMARTBoard was Teachers Connecting 11: Year End Ideas by Ben Hazzord. I was shocked. I have heard the word podcast before and just assumed it was a video of some kind. Then when it came up I realized it was just a discussion with only sound. Wow! I am way behind in time! The music in the intro was a great idea. I just feel like it should have stopped once he started talking. Also, this discussion was between two people in two totally different areas; that was neat to me! The podcast sort of reminded me of a radio interview between a caller and the radio host, but when Joan fixed her audio the sound got a lot better. I also had a problem with the conversation being a little off subject, for example when they started to talk about the "Obama cookies." That is fine though I guess there needs to be a moment of opening up to get ready for discussion. Also, the random music sort of through me off focus a lot during the podcast.




The second podcast I listened to was KidCast 62: Some Thoughts On Video Podcasting. I am not one hundred percent familiar with exactly what the motive of a podcast is, but here he is talking about making video podcast. So far I have understood a podcast being just audio no visual guidance. If you turn a podcast into a video podcast would that not just be a new video? I expected more than one person talking. I honestly enjoyed the one on one conversation better than this personal speech from him. I sort of felt like I had stepped into a classroom during this podcast. I realize it is really hard to keep attention of others while you are only speaking ,and that is all the person is seeing or hearing is the computer screen and your voice. Although, I do agree with him when he mentioned the idea of kids being able to think more about the way they look or having to look into a camera rather than just speaking. Also, he explained that he does realize it's easier to keep the attention of the viewers with a video rather than just audio, and I do agree with that idea.




The third podcast I watched was MacBreak Weekly 155: When You're Ready to Compromise , Call Me. I honestly stayed lost during the time I listened to this podcast. Maybe if I had any idea what they were talking about I could have kept right up with the information they were sharing. I know they are very educated with apple technology. I am not. I do enjoy the one on one podcast a lot better than I do the single person speech.



The forth podcast I listened to was Teachers Teaching Teachers 161 - Summer Special: Submitting your own Docs, Templates, Japan, and Digital Storytelling. This podcast was under EdTechTalk. This podcast had multiple speakers having a conversation back and forth, and they stayed on topic better than the other three I listened to today. The intro was very brief and to the point. Then they went straight into the topics. Everything they talked about in this podcast is everything that we are going to be learning about in EDM 310 this semester. They explained teachers using the google docs and all of the options in google for the teachers to help track the students progress over the year. This was a very interesting podcast and mainly the best one I listened to , as far as keeping my focus.

1 comment:

  1. Straight to the point, wandering conversations, scripted lectures, conversations, and many other approaches. Which direction will you go in your podcast.

    A very good analysis!

    ReplyDelete