Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Singing Hearts

A picture from the blog singing hearts
I love this story that he is putting out to the world about his daughter. The main thing that came to mind with me was his concern of privacy. I think holding the children back is a huge mistake. I totally agreed with Mr. Chamberlain's comment. I think that there are so many ways to turn off the "stalking" "harassment" "paranoia" with networking that it is amazing. I think the use of technology and the way a three year old and her dad's story have touched many teachers across the world is incredible ! I have really never thought about privacy issues. The worry of privacy has been so covered by all of the great things that can fall into place by using technology. I am sure there are many parents that will have issues with these sort of activities, but there will be so many positive points to make to hopefully sway that parent into not worrying. Also, I am not sure about the book he keeps referring to , but whatever book it is I think every parent to every child should have one and read it. I know the talk has been technology is wonderful, but that is interacting with the world with your students. I have noticed that many kids over the generations have gone from "if you don't do your homework you can't go outside and play this afternoon" to "if you don't do your homework you can't play your PSP this afternoon." It bugs me so bad to see children outside on a beautiful day sitting in a swing playing a hand held video game. That is strictly my opinion. I think the non educational video games are killing the minds of young children. I think more parents should spend more time allowing their children to play outside and learn about the sunset, the way the clouds and stars work, the reasons why this flower only grows in this sort of weather, rather than sitting inside with no interaction with anything but a gaming screen. I know that may be way off topic , but when I saw that he mentioned spending time outside learning with Kaia that sparked my idea of kids spending all extra time on the playstation, or DS , or PSP.
CLICK HERE

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post. A great idea - combine outside with real projects (such as photo commentaries) that can be shared with others on the internet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Careful, one of my hobbies is playing video games. Who said that playing outside is better than playing games anyway ;>
    Mr. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see no problem with gaming, I just see a problem when the young students do not have any other interest in learning or exploring anything other than their games!!!!

    ReplyDelete